a change is just around the corner

///--->>>rethinking art, contemporaneity and (my)self

Works and Curations

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Srirangam an entry: In search of a methodology


A chapter from my research as  Nehru Trust & Victoria and Albert Museum Small Studies Research Grantee..also early experiments in art history writing.  

/As the train hauled into Srirangam railway station, there was some consciousness about entering the heart of the Kaveri delta. The anticipation of seeing one of the most significant Vaishnavite temples, also one of the largest temple complexes of Tamil Nadu was strong enough for me to be up before sunrise, bathe and yet be early for the morning darshan. As I soaked in the Srirangam town at the crack of dawn sipping coffee and buying flowers I realized that the town is heavily dependent on tourism and pilgrimage as sources of income; and one could clearly see it was not too much. As I went into the layered cave like temple towards the revered and enigmatic garbagriha for my darshan the  mind was pre-occupied with a question…….how can a ritually, culturally and art historically significant site like Sri Ranganathaswamy temple fail to draw a heavy stream of tourists and pilgrims?

Three days had passed I was walking aimlessly around Srirangam. When I had applied for the grant I had little idea that this will evolve to be a disciplinary crisis in a way. I had visited Srirangam many times before. With the department of art history MS University of Baroda I had visited Srirangam twice. Both were exhilarating experiences. However they were also codified experiences. We often headed straight to the Sriranganathaswamy Temple. There used to be a clear disciplinary brief….. (Dynastic affiliations, iconographic cycles, cultic affiliations, stylistic affiliation/locations…..how to look at a monument was already briefed to us way before we arrived. The observations based on which I had written my proposal for this research were made more during dinning, shopping, going for our Cauvery bath…..and moments like that.


          Suddenly my research and documentation required me to stop looking at the temple and start looking at the city. For the first two days out of sheer habit I kept waking up early morning and heading straight to the temple. On the third day I told myself this could not carry on. I had come with a limited budget, limited time and I needed to get a grip over my field visit.  My third day was spent walking around the town and having a sort of anthropological interaction with  rickshaw divers, shop owners, temple guides and others…..however the feeling of being blank walled by my object of study  was becoming stronger and stronger.

*****                                                                                                                        
After the darshana, surveying the various mandapas and sub-shrines, that as compared to complexes like Chidambaram or the Madurai Meenakshi, the Sri Ranganathaswamy temple complex is far from ordered. A simplistic semiotic equation drawing told me that what I was seeing was a lack of discipline[1] . Very   often within the same mandapas iconography, form and finish of the pillars, pillar capitals to the extent that it becomes really difficult to imagine that they might have been sculpted or conceived together. To put it in other words the over all plan of the sub-shrines and the mandapa was not well coordinate to my eyes at both the macro as well as the micro levels. It is not as if a temple had to be built all at once for the layers disappear in coordination. The Madurai Meenakshi and the Subramanyam shrine in relation to Brihadeswara Tanjavore are good examples.


Thirsty, under a hardening morning sun, I headed out towards a shop selling home made lemonade sweetened with honey. The spartan shop was adorned with three large representations of a goddess on a lion holding the sword as a chief attribute. The shop keeper explained that she was Bhadrakali (along with Munniamman the most popular goddess in the region), the chief goddess of the sudras.  The city of Srirangam seemed more dynamic and layered than I had anticipated.   The last thing I was expecting to encounter in this ‘eternal seat of Vishnu’ was an overwhelming popularity of Shaivite mother goddess. By now I was interacting with a small group of people who had all joined the conversation out of curiosity.


It was a surprise to learn that there was not a single Bhadrakali shrine within the first six gopurams of the temple complex (counting from the core outwards). Exclusions   can be interesting…… what disturbed me is that a temple which has grown and prospered over the years by being able to hegemonise   various cultic practices. Could it be an exploilitary exclusive institution in its home base? Quite an interesting   understanding of caste unfolded as we talked on, the general level of interest in our group being quite high. Every one who had gathered identified himself as shaiva and claimed that said that all shaivas were sudras. When I asked about the shaiva priests who conduct their religious rituals, it was very grudgingly admitted that there were some shaiva Brahmins……but very clearly they did not identify with these Brahmins at any level. There is no meat shop within one and a half kilometres of the forth gopuram when most of the Srirangam population eats meat.



The rest of the day was spent walking around the town studying how it spreads. Soon learnt that all the Vaishnavite priests stayed within the forth and fifth enclosures of the temple complex (the Shaivite priests are seemed so ‘invisible’ that my new guides could not tell me where they lived).  The rest of the town had fair degree of caste homogeneity though one could clearly see new and powerful class equations shaping the landscape of the city. Most of the river front was being occupied by the upper middle class hailing from Trichy. Exhausted and terribly sun burnt, I returned to the hotel………the strange town still very much on my mind. The grand gopurams, the gigantic enclosure walls, the maze of mandapas, the lavishly sculpted pillars of the ‘thousand pillared hall’ and the barely finished pillars of the same structure were images playing in a loop[2].


Too restless to sleep I picked up my travel guide[3]  to bed. Aimlessly flipping across pages I stopped and pinched my self for failing to notice that in the Srirangam delta itself, there was a huge Shiva temple in the village of Tiruvannakoil[4]. Don’t know how much sleep came my way that night but I was up at the crack of dawn. Sipping my coffee and drinking in the early morning flavours of kukmum, haldi and jasmine, I asked for directions to the Jambukeshwara temple.


The temple is situated on the other side of the railway track, and as I walked towards the connecting bridge, I began to notice a significant change in the cityscape. Form the eastern fringe of the town onwards right through to the Jambukeshwara temple, there was an extended village/slum dotted with Murugan, Munniamman, Bhadrakali and Ganesha. All the narratives about the Kaveri delta being hegemonised into Brahmanism during the Bhakti movement turned in my head as my eyes continued to hunt for at least one Vishnu or Shiva shrine. I had to wait till I reached the Jambukeshwara temple.


The temple is gorgeous and one of the finest examples of Nayaka period architecture. The planning and ordering of space far surpasses the Sri Ranganathaswamy temple and yet it became clear to me that it had long lost its ritual status and funding had dried up.  Over the last two days the structures through which I have studied temple and temple urbanization had come under serious strain and I desperately felt the need to push the refresh button…. By noon I was on the bus to Chidambaram to a new temple in a new city…….


One of my lasting memories of the five hour journey was searching the countryside for Shiva or Vishnu shrines and not finding any………….



[1] …and pointed out that I saw ‘discipline’ as being analogous to ‘ordered’.

[2] Rahul Bhattacharya ‘A short note on Srirangam’, Rathyatra, (forthcoming)
[3]  George Michell, Blue Guide – South India, A&C Black (publishers) limited, London 1997.
[4]  The Sri Jambukeshwara Temple is dedicated to Lord Siva and has five concentric walls and seven gopurams.  It is built around a Siva lingam partially submerged in water that comes from a spring in the sanctum sanctorum.  Non-Hindus are not allowed inside the temple.  The some parts of the complex were built around the same as Sri Ranganathaswamy temple. However the ‘stylistic quality’ of the pillar decorations, and attitude towards finish (especially if looks at the pushpapotitas and the crispness in the carving) puts it closer to Chidambaram. 

No comments:

Post a Comment